Italian Prototypes – Mugello, July 11
A dramatic race unfolded for the CIP event at Mugello, in the Tuscany
hills, yesterday, July 11. Denny Zardo (the current points leader)
wasn’t involved in the qualifying session, because the BMW
engine in his Osella blew up during the opening laps of free practice,
so he started from the back of the 33 car grid. Perhaps that was
the best place to be….
At the start we had a
pile-up in the middle of the grid, with no less than eight cars
involved: Baccarelli and Mascolo escaped with respectively a cracked
vertebra and a leg in bad shape. Sympathies to these two, and best
wishes for rapid recoveries.
So from the original
33 they were down to 26 at the second restart. As for the first
one, Uboldi took the lead in his Lucchini, but behind him Serafini
(inspired throughout) overtook Gabellini and after a brief hunt
caught and passed Uboldi on the second lap. Behind the leaders Zardo
was having a cracking time, passing cars left, right and centre.
By the third lap he was already eighth.
In the meantime Serafini
and his Osella were in control, and despite the best efforts of
Uboldi (and thanks to a problem with the aerodynamic package) Serafini
flew away and never looked back. Behind the two leaders there was
a good scrap between Francisci, Solieri, Francia and…Zardo,
Denny up to fifth already. Francisci had to park his car and on
lap 9 of 15 Francia (winner in the CN2 class) passed the SR2 machine
At the end Serafini (with
also the best lap by quite a margin) won in front of Uboldi while
Gabellini finished in third place in his Centenari, then Zardo eventually
passed Francia for a remarkable charge through the field to fourth.
Fifth and first of the CN2 class was Francia.
cars were most suited to the high-speed Mugello track. The Championship
looks a little closer but clearly Zardo (59) is one step ahead of
the others – led by Serafini on 42 and Uboldi on 39. Next
stop is Imola where the BMW powered cars will probably have a more
difficult time than at Mugello.
1. Serafini Osella Pa20-BMW CN4 18 laps 33’36.732 1’49.647
2. Uboldi Lucchini P1-BMW CN4 -18.373 1’51.062
3. Gabellini Centenari-AlfaRomeo CN4 -19.871 1’51.399
4. Zardo Osella Pa20-BMW CN4 -39.939 1’51.538
5. Francia Osella Pa21-Honda CN2 -44.434 1’52.051
6. “Gianfranco” Osella Pa20-Alfa CN4 -52.200 1’53.193
7. Armetta Osella Pa21-Honda CN2 -1’07.736 1’54.060
8. Solieri Lucchini Sr2-Alfa SR2 -1’12.282 1’53.070
9. Pezzolla Osella Pa21-Honda CN2 -1’30.559 1’54.156
10. Piccone Lucchini Sr2-Alfa SR2 -2’01.437 1’55.112
17. Vallebona Lucchini P1-Alfa CN3 - 4 laps 1.58.118.